What is Shafee’s pay for anti-Anwar campaign?
KUALA LUMPUR: DAP elder statesman Lim Kit Siang agrees with Sepang MP Mohamed Hanipa Maidin that as taxpayers, Malaysians are entitled to know the actual fees the Government has to pay to Sodomy II lead prosecutor Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, a lawyer in private practice, for the case at the Court of Appeal and Federal Court levels.
1. Are the services of Shafee as lead prosecutor for Anwar’s case equivalent to the remuneration of the Attorney-General for a whole year?
2. If so, the question that arises is why Abdul Gani Patail did not conduct the prosecution himself and instead outsourced it to Shafee?
3. Is Shafee also being paid by the Government for leading the nationwide Umno/Barisan Nasional (BN) road show to justify the Federal Court’s decision and to humiliate Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim who is in jail for the fourth time in his 47-year public career in fighting for justice, freedom, human dignity and good governance in Malaysia?
“It is abundantly clear that while Shafee had won in the Courts of Law, he has lost in the court of public opinion both in Malaysia and abroad,” said Lim who is also DAP Parliamentary Leader and Gelang Patah MP. “He’s also on the Umno/BN roadshow to carry out a vicious and vengeful campaign against Anwar.”
4. Why are there no sane and sound voices in the higher echelons of the Umno/BN leadership?
5. Was Shafee lead prosecutor or Umno/BN prosecutor?
Lim was also expressing the Opposition’s gratitude that sane voices including Law Minister Nancy Shukri, others in Umno as well, have been questioning the logic, rationale and soundness of the decision of the Umno Youth leader, Khairy Jamaluddin, in organizing the unprecedented and questionable nationwide roadshow against Anwar featuring Shafee. “It’s as if Shafee is Malaysia’s latest discovery for unusual or even extraordinary performances like contortions and other super-human feats.”
He noted that Umno Pusat Bandar Taman Chempaka branch information chief, Syed Rosli Syed Harman Jamalullail, has warned that the Shafee roadshow would only backfire on the ruling party and alienate Malaysians even more. “The public reactions to Shafee’s immoral and despicable tactics to humiliate Anwar and his family are clear.”
“Anwar cannot reply to him from Sungai Buloh prison. The nationwide Shafee tirade with Khairy is a one-sided show.”
6. Would Shafee arrange for Anwar to be present at all his stops during his nationwide roadshow so that Anwar has the opportunity to reply to all his wild allegations?
“Khairy as Sports Minister should be more focused, as suggested by Syed Rosli, on problems facing the youth, such as affordable housing, cost of living, mat rempit, social problems and the country’s poor performance in sports,” said Lim.